Police receive funds + community center plans: New London News
Welcome back, New London. Here’s all the local news, events and community messages you need for Saturday, October 16.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
More and more windy. High: 72 Low: 51.
Here are today’s best stories in New London:
- London’s new police will receive federal funds for de-escalation training: The city will receive more than $ 70,000 to support training and community policing. (theday.com)
- Plans are moving forward for the New London Community Center: The community got a first look at plans for the $ 30 million facility. (theday.com)
- Lieutenant Governor Susan Bysiewicz visits Hispanic businesses in Norwich, New London: Bysiewicz discussed the effects of the pandemic on local businesses during his visit. (theday.com)
- London’s new pro-life pregnancy center says new state law violates First Amendment rights (theday.com)
- Watch Live: New London at Ledyard Football (theday.com)
Today in New London:
- Eugene O’Neill 133rd Birthday (10:00 a.m.)
- Blockcity Battle League: Back 2 the Block (5:00 p.m.)
- Don’t play the guitar yet! (7:00 p.m.)
New London Patch Notebook
- United States Coast Guard Barque EAGLE: “Sneak Peak The new figurehead was released to be mounted on the hull! Did you know the previous figurehead was installed in 1976? Stay tuned for a full week of figurehead history during the week of November 1st! #USCG #CGCEAGL. .. “(Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “An exciting day here on the SUBBASE waterfront. The historic Nautilus is launching for the first time in over 20 years for maintenance availability in our dry dock. Join us live at 12:30 pm as we celebrate the occasion memorable! ” (Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: Discover the leaders of the future crew of the USS Iowa (SSN 797) during their visit to the Iowa State University Navy Reserve Officer Training Corp (NROTC) in the state of the submarine’s namesake. Https: // www. facebook.com/GrotonSubs/posts/ 238329611661777 “(Facebook)
- United States Coast Guard Barque EAGLE: “Line handling is an essential skill in setting sail. On the first day on board, trainees learn the proper techniques and controls for handling lines on deck. #UCGC #CGCEAGLE #barqueeagle #gocoastguard #ucgcacademy #whyiserve #duty #de … “(Facebook)
- US Coast Guard Academy: “Mark your calendars !! November 13th will be the 50th US Merchant Marine Academy – USMMA and #USCGA reunion in the Secretaries Cup football game !! We will celebrate this milestone with a hatchback hosted HERE on the Academy. ..” ( Facebook)
- College of Connecticut: “Misty Fall Mornings: Jeff Gada” (Facebook)
- United States Coast Guard Academy Athletics: “Get to know Coast Guard Academy Football tight end Matt Ross in this week’s football feature #gocgabears” (Facebook)
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum: “Mark your calendars for this next virtual conference with curator Tanya Pohrt on November 14th. Register here: https://bit.ly/3vlucdm »(Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Leave it. Get. SCARY! But maybe not TOO scary Submit scary news for a chance to win a $ 25 gift certificate to the Book Barn in Niantic, CT. This contest is open to children and adolescents aged from 6 to 18. Submit your story by October 29, w … “(Facebook)
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum: “Our latest collector’s projector celebrating #NationalHispanicHeritageMonth features the work of Guido Garaycochea, an artist of Peruvian descent working in New York and New London, CT. Garaycochea painted this wood panel triptych after his return …” ( Facebook)
- Spark Makerspace: “Drawing night tonight at Spark Makerspace 7 Union St. New London. Starts at 6 p.m. Bring a sketchbook.” (Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “#ICYMI Today @ 1100! Https://www.facebook.com/mwrsubasenlon/posts/227712142729888” (Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Join us in our community room for a yoga session with certified instructor Ashley Hanson! We recommend that you bring your own mat, towel and comfortable clothing to use during our session. Registration is required. The space is limited. To register … “(Facebook)
- New London homeless reception center: “The Mystic Seaport Museum and the Runa Group have collected over 150 pairs of socks to benefit the guests of the Homeless Hospitality Center. People who help people. People who accept help from people. It means so much. Thank you!” (Facebook)
- Connecticut College, Hale Center for Career Development: “We appreciate so much alumni who are willing to volunteer their time and students find so much value in informational discussions with them! ” (Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “#SocialOPSEC https://www.facebook.com/usfleetforces/posts/238676824973620” (Facebook)
- The Salvation Army – New London, Connecticut: “Poverty in the United States increased in 2020 due to the effect of the pandemic on the economy and rising unemployment. The Salvation Army works to support people facing poverty on a daily basis with rent and help with public services. Tune in to the Salvation Army … “(Facebook)
- Herd theater: “Come, all come to the New London O’Neill Birthday Celebration. Https://www.theday.com/events–exhibits/20211014/saturday-eugene-oneill-birthday-celebration-takes-place- in-new- London “(Facebook)
- Cultural Coalition – Culturesect: “Artists from Eastern CT!” Awesome FREE online workshops are coming your way. ” (Facebook)
- Top edge: “Higher Edge Students & Alumni !! NLHS Alumni !! We received a sponsored quartet from Mitchell College. And we would like these spots to be used by current Higher Edge students, alumni / alumni or 2007-2012 NLHS graduates. ..” (Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
If you like these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read them. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Chris rhatigan
About me: Chris Rhatigan is a freelance writer and editor.
Do you have any advice or suggestion for an upcoming New London Daily? I’m all ears. You can contact me at [email protected]